Operating System Installation Tasks
The following is an overview of the procedures that are needed to install a new operating system (OS).
1. Set up the display environment.
If you are not using the optional DVD drive for preparing the system for OS installation and installing the OS, see Accessing the Server Output During Installation
2. Erase the primary boot disk.
If you have an operating system preinstalled on the server, you will need to remove it before installing a new operating system. See Erasing the Primary Boot Hard Disk.
3. Set up the BIOS.
You need to make sure that the BIOS is set up for the operating system that you plan to install. See Setting up the BIOS for Operating System Installation.
4. Install the operating system.
See the chapter in this document that corresponds to the operating system that you plan to install.
5. Configure your server for RAID.
If you plan to configure your server for RAID operation, you will need to perform some setup tasks before installing the operating system. See Configure Your System for RAID.
6. Install the operating system, update the drivers, and run operating system updates, as necessary. See Choosing an Operating System Installation Method and the chapter that corresponds to the operating system that you want to install.
Solaris Operating System Installation
Linux Operating System Installation
Windows Server 2003 Operating System Installation.